Since 2008, Christie has designed and facilitated professional development training in public speaking, communications, creativity and leadership skills for clients such as AgFirst Bank, BCBS of South Carolina, BrightStart SC, CVSC, and several state agencies. She teaches primarily through Midland’s Tech’s Corporate and Continuing Education program.
Learners say Christie helps them become more comfortable, natural and dynamic in their self-expression, more focused and effective as listeners, and more creatively effective in their careers.
Christie’s career began in advertising account management and communications strategy in New York. In the years since, she has worked in small and mid-market radio and television broadcasting, as a professional actor, and in marketing/communications. Since 2008, her primary focus has been adult training.
In her work as a trainer, Christie has helped:
- physics majors learn to effectively defend and sell their ideas to industry leaders and lawmakers (USC/SC Electric Cooperatives Clean Power Plan ‘Shark Tank’).
- onboarding employees identify, understand and use communications techniques to develop relationships and solve problems (SC Health and Human Services, BCBS, CVSC).
- supervisors strengthen leadership skills to develop and motivate teams (SC Health and Human Services).
- public speakers become more confident, relaxed and effective in using their voice to develop client relationships, sell ideas, and motivate action (AgFirst Bank, BrightStart, LLC, SC Dept. of Health and Human Services, SC DHEC, MTC Public Continuing Education).
- employees with a diversity of skills and job types (office workers, executives, sales, and field/road workers) strengthen their customer service skills and manage the stress of this role (SC Dept. of Transportation, BCBS, MTC Public Continuing Education and Job Readiness Training).
She has also spoken on a variety of topics including professional culture and relationship development, the importance of stress reduction for effective communications, public speaking, and the mysteries and mastery of creative thinking (Richland County Administrators, SC DHEC, Columbia Rotary Club, a book club of retirees entering a new phase of life).
Christie is a member of the American Association of Media Photographers, Conservation Voters of SC, Surfrider and Oceana environmental organizations, the Columbia Museum of Art, SC Film Alliance, the University of South Carolina Alumni Association and Trinity Cathedral. She has been an multi-year host of the annual I Believe Anita Hill celebration and is an alumni of the Columbia Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Columbia program.
“Comfortably speaking out, whether with a whisper, loudly, or through artistic expression, is fundamental for fulfilling the purpose of our lives.”
“Public speaking is just another way of having a conversation.”
“Active listening is your communications multi-tool. It’s key to growing knowledge, solving problems, establishing trust and building relationships.”